Volkwagen CEO Resigns after scandal
- Volkswagen chief executive Martin Winterkorn quit Wed. after a growing scandal over falsified emissions tests. Winterkorn’s resignation occurred one day after acknowledging that 11 million Volkswagen-made cars have software that dupes official emissions tests.
Egypt releases Al Jazeera journalists Fahmy and Mohamed
- Two Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt for broadcasting false news have been freed after receiving a l pardons from President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi. The presidential pardon comes after Fahmy and Mohamed, along with Australian Al-Jazeera correspondent Peter Greste, were sentenced from seven to 10 years in prison for allegedly spreading false news in 2014.
Brian Williams returns to television
- Brian Williams’ attempt at an anchorman rebound began Tues. afternoon when he anchored MSNBC’s coverage of Pope Francis’ visit to the United States.
President Obama declares Calif. Valley Fire a major disaster
- President Barack Obama has declared a major disaster for the fourth most destructive wildfire in the history of Calif. The blaze has forced 12,000 people to evacuate their homes and caused at least three deaths. President Obama signed the declaration Tues. to release federal funding to help with the wildfire. According to a White House statement, the assistance includes grants for temporary housing, home repairs and uninsured-property losses.
Bella Bond’s father claims toddler will be buried in Winthrop
- Bella Bond, the toddler whose body was discovered on a Deer Island beach in June and who was identified last week, will be buried in Winthrop, according to her biological father, Joseph Amoroso, who never met his biological daughter, Bella, said he did not know when her wake or funeral would be. However, he said both would be public.
Whitey Bulger’s girlfriend indicted on criminal contempt charge
- The longtime girlfriend of James “Whitey” Bulger was indicted Tuesday on a charge she refused to testify about whether other people helped him during his 16 years on the run, according to The Brockton Enterprise. Catherine Greig is already serving an eight-year sentence for conspiracy to harbor a fugitive, identity fraud and conspiracy to commit identity fraud.
Stephanie Dawber is the Editor-in-Chief of The Comment. Follow her on Twitter @StephanieDawber.